Friday, March 6, 2015

New Mexico Tea Company- Ginger Green (Chinese Sencha) review

New Mexico Tea Company's Ginger Green is more of a shortcut tea for me than anything.

I prefer to make my own ginger green tea with the ginger I keep in the freezer, so I can easily adjust the amount of ginger flavor I get. But sometimes, I just don't want to go through the trouble of getting the ginger out, shaving it into slivers adding it to boiling hot water, removing it after 2 minutes, adding the leaves (the water is usually close to 175 at this point), waiting another two minutes, removing the strainer then being able to finally drink tea. 

This should be a welcome shortcut int this process.

I will be brewing this tea at 175 for 3 minutes, my standard for most green teas, I understand this is a little hot for a sencha, but I wanted to see how the dried ginger would react more than anything.








As you can hopefully see, the tea comes out fairly cloudy, That is not from any mistreatment of the tea, although I did brew it 10 degrees hotter than many people brew sencha-style teas. This is, I believe from the dried ginger.

My opinions on it's flavor are thus-
Nice ginger flavor, reminiscent of a traditionally made ginger ale (think Vernors.) Not near as strong in the spicy qualities though. It's like it's ginger tea, but with no bite, all the sweetness of ginger, none of the heat.

I give it a 5/10, would suggest adding a product such as this if you want more heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment